Saturday, September 29, 2012

Patience Should be a Four Letter Word



Patience.  One of the blogs I follow, Amazingly Awake, had an interesting point in her ezine I got this week. I started following her through a post on Pinterrest – “25 ways to be a Calm Parent”.  Now being a working mom, and step mom, I am the first to admit that I am not always patient.  It can be hard when one is pulled in 20 directions at once. So I eagerly looked at her site, and signed up to follow her via email.
The email I got earlier this week before embarking on my trip was o ne that included a patience challenge.  When I first read the email I was struck at the irony of getting a patience challenge as I was embarking on a solo trip with a six month old.  
Being an ICU nurse and practitioner, I am not well known for patience.  In fact, I have often said that I skipped that line when traits were handed out.  As long as I can remember, I have been less than patient always wanting things done right in the quickest manner possible.  I could give you a million reasons why I have not been patient – I could tell you it was beaten in to me.  In fact, that wouldn’t be far from the truth.  That however, is a separate story. 
 Have recently realized that my drive for perfection is dangerous to my happiness as a wife and mother.  I feel as is if in order to show my family how much I love them, I have to have the perfect home, and get everything done.  My husband, bless his soul, has often tried to tell me that I show my love in other ways, not just in how many chores I get done. I admittedly have had a hard time believing him.  Perfection has been ingrained in me as the way one establishes ones worth.  My drive fpr perfection often makes me less than patient with my family and life in general.
As part of the Mom Challenge, the first one was to slow down.  This was a difficult one for me and one that is going to take more than 1 week to work on.  However, it does go along with patience quite well.  Things are not going to be perfect 100% of time and that is ok. Things are not always going to get done on my schedule.  As long as the important ones get done in a timely manner I have to learn to live with that.  I may not get the dusting done but if the clothes are clean and the family fed and happy then it is ok.  The dusting, vacuuming, etc are chores that can wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment