Sunday, December 30, 2012

Falling off the Wagon, and Getting Back On

My goal when I started this blog, was to use it as a tool to journal to both help remind me of those moments you don't want to forget, and to help motivate me to continue to strive for improvement in my life.  With a history of depression and post traumatic distress syndrome I know, I have tendencies to spiral and tendencies to only see the negative. 
About a month ago I joined an online parenting group focused on gratitude and how to improve your sense of it and recognize it.  I started it gungho and started to feel better about the little things that I wasn't getting done.  Then the holidays came, life got busy, and I let the group and assignements fall to the back burner.  I told myself that I didn't have time for that I had to have the perfect family holidays.  I noticed over the last 10 days that I have become increasingly short with my husband, having increased anxiety/depression symptoms.  I began to realize that by not making time to keep my gratitude journal, and take time for myself I was actually in danger of losing myself.  So after realizing that I had decsions to make.  The primary one being how was I going to allow myself the me time needed to focus on the gratitude project.  In the span of laundry, playing with Jack, working full time, cooking, and clenaing, where was I gonna find time?  I struggled with this for several days.
I have come to the realization that having me time, for reflection, journaling, projects etc is not a frivolous extra rather it is a necessity to maintain both my identity and my sanity.
I am still at somewhat of a loss on how to acheive this butnowing is half the battle.  My children will not be scarred by not having a spotless house, however, they will be damaged if I do not put them first above menial tasks.

My new mantra :  There is no such thing as perfect parent or perfect spouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment